Friday, November 28, 2008

The best read in a long time!

So I didn't go to bed, instead I read. For the last 4 or 5 hours. I read Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

Brilliant book. If you love complex story lines, complex characters and toggling back and forth between time lines - this is the book for you. And it's a chunky read at 1168 pages.

I found it in the sci-fi section of the local Borders but I wouldn't categorize it as sci-fi. It's technically challenging as well. I don't pretend to understand all the mathematics in it but one has to read each word because there are passages inside the mathematics that further the story or the character.

Some portions that will stick in my mind forever: Capt. Crunch cereal, sheer nylon hose and furniture, giant lizards, graphing out masturbation vs having sex, and engineering the division of family heirlooms by a scientific method. Not to mention some of the best war scenes and strategy ever. In both current and past story lines.

I have less than 100 pages to read and even tho it's teeny font I think I'll probably stay up and finish it. It's that good.

It's a mix of Vonnegut's wit, Heinlien's characters and in some timeframes, Rand.

I have a feeling I'll be tearing through all of Stephenson's books.

Oh and if you want to read an excerpt go here click. It starts right after the short interview portion.

No comments: