Monday, November 9, 2009

T's last conversation with me

I talked to T tonight.  He's barely conscious.  I told him some things...it's your birthday (he said, "I know"), that I loved him (me too) and told him it would be ok, if he were tired he could go to sleep.  That wherever he is I will be thinking of him.  That he made an impact on me from that very first day I called him to come in for an interview.

I hate that he is dying and I won't see him again.  I thought of him today as I stood in the kitchen at work.  I missed seeing him sitting at the table eating his lunch, cracking sarcastic wit at me.  I miss running into him in the hallway on the way to the restroom.  Him standing at my desk laughing.

To think just 2 and a half months ago, he was all of that and now he is on his deathbed.

At 53.

No comments: