Tuesday, February 24, 2009

It's gotta be done

Green. Our front yard is green. I know, I know most people have green front yards. We don't. We have a yard but nobody does yard work here. I hate doing yard work. I was forced as a child to pull weeds and mow the lawn and I've never enjoyed it. I'm not even someone who enjoys planting things.

I enjoy looking at pretty flowers, plants and lawns but I don't like working with it. I have a brown thumb.

The husband used to like to plant things but now he likes to buy plants and leave them in the pots. We must have never lived as farmers in a former life.

Our wild weather here has been wild enough that Mother Nature thinks it's spring. Yes, it's been freezing here but it's also been extremely warm. Trees are budding, flowers blooming and there has been so much rain that green stuff is covering the front lawn.

However...Yes, there is a however.

It's not grass. It's weeds. Lots of weeds, all different heights. Large drifts of foot long green grassy stuff interspersed with shorter grassy weedy stuff. It's gonna be hell to cut and it needs to be cut this weekend.

I'm trying to gear up the energy to think about cutting the lawn. What I'd really like to do is get everything cleaned up in the front yard. All the leaves under all the bushes, branches, crap all over the place. It's a mess. And I'd better figure out what shoes I can wear to do that and know I'll have dog poop all over my shoes.

And I'm hoping it will be cool enough for me to get motivated.

Well, I have Wed - Sat morning to get motivated. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Good luck. I have a lot of yard work to do, too. I finally found my weed burner. I'm going to buy some propane and get out there and burn, baby, burn. You don't actually set the weeds on fire. You just super heat them so their little cells burst. Then they shrivel up and die.

A weed burner is also an excellent way to quickly light a barbeque.

VO said...

I think ours are too extensive. A third of an acre of weed burning might be a little much.

Donita Curioso said...

Yeah, that would be impractical.

VO said...

Well, it's Thurs and I'm not very motivated to mow that lawn. But there is still hope, I have 2 whole days to build up my fortitude.