Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I guess the car needs some work

Did you know you can order a pizza by phone and have it delivered faster than if you call for roadside service?  True.  I found out this truth today.

My car is dead.  Ok, it's only wounded, no juice.  I got into it after work, expecting to drive the 20 mins home but noooo, instead I turned the key and got ________.  Yes, that's right _________.

Called the hub.  He came and jumped the car with MY jumper cables that are in the Corolla, not in my car.  For some inexplicable reason he put them back in the Corolla instead of in my car where they belong.  Well, I know he thinks it's because if my battery goes dead I have to call him to jump my car.  Hmmmm, if I have jumper cables I can jump my own car.  I had to call him because I didn't HAVE my jumper cables.

Back to the current situation.

The car drove fine for 3 blocks and then I could feel the RPM's dying.  I gunned it (trying not to surge and hit the car in front of me.)  I let off the accelerator and it died.  At a light, where I was turning right.  The hub and daughter behind me.  And 7 cars behind them.

I motioned the hub to push me to the side.  After a moment of resistance they did.  Got me out of the turning lane and over on the side of the road.

I had to call roadside assistance because he'd have to turn his car the wrong way to jump me.  I don't know the legalities of facing the wrong way if you are being a good Sam and trying to jump a car.  

I call and I have no address to tell the assistance people because this corner is in the middle of orange groves.  Literally.  But it IS a big intersection with a kajillion cars passing by every day.  So they don't have any reason to not finding me.  

But when they call they tell me it will be 30 mins on top of the 15 I've already spent calling them and waiting for a call back from the tow people.

Good thing I have a book and the company of the hub and daughter.

The guy comes and he has one of these: Jump Start Battery Pack. 

Kinda cool item.  The hub can have my jumper cables if I can get one of these.

Got jumped, drove home.  How you ask? I kept my foot on the accelerator and popped the thing into neutral (it's an automatic) and kept the RPM's going at all cost. 

Now my car sits in the driveway with no juice.  Hmmmm, how am I gonna afford an alternator? 

Oh and btw, the hub and daughter went to see the MIL.  She was asleep the entire time but the good thing is that she was not flailing about.  She's been very jerky because she hasn't had her levadopa meds.  That is, I hope a good sign that she's getting quality rest which might help her heal faster.  

No comments: