Monday, August 10, 2009

Can I turn into a gardener?

The husband and I are at a crossroads with the yard. He won't do anything about the yard and I can't lift heavy machinery or the decomposed granite I want put in to control the weeds and further growth. He won't do anything about the yard because we have dogs who poop in the yard. (and 2 of them dig). Well, the dogs have been here for 13 years, we've had a semi-ok yard all those years, it's just gone to hell since the gardener left. That and no water.

Hours pass since I wrote the above.

We borrowed a lawn mower. Ours is broken. It sat outside for the last week and a half. Today used it and mowed some of the weeds. There was a lot of dusty dirt flying around because most of our yard is dirt.

The mower isn't powerful enough to mow the portions near the 2 spigots, the grass is very dense. I had to tip the mower to come down on the grass instead of mowing forward. It worked although I had to keep tipping the front portion up so it wouldn't die.

I spent about 45 mins out there in the full sun...although it was 4:30 p.m. A little cooler than earlier today. I got more and more nauseous and figured I'd better come in and cool off. I took a shower, which didn't really help. I know better than be out in the sun for a long time, my autoimmune disease kicks into high gear if I'm out too long. I don't want to spend the rest of my vacation sleeping and having migraines.

I should be icing my arm but I'm typing instead.

Earlier today I ran some errands. I bought a succulent plant. It's Sedum nussbaumerianum. See it here, click. I understand it can grow in a 3 foot diameter. I came home and promptly planted it. The start of my succulent yard. It's fairly close to an area that seems to get some water from the spigot dripping. I checked on section but it was pretty boggy so it couldn't go there. The plant wants an area with good drainage. I'll have to see if the dirt is too wet there in the next couple of weeks. I'll move it if it doesn't do well. But for now I'm thinking I don't have to water it since the ground seems dry but somewhat moist. We'll see.

So I'm making a decision. If the husband won't do anything about the yard, I'll just do whatever I want. It will be slow, I don't have a lot of money to put into it. I'm thinking about getting some sage and lavender and some yellow daisy like flowers to put out there. I understand you can grow lavender from cuttings so I am going to try that.

1 comment:

Billy Canary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.