Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Reading material

I started reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" last night. Tonight I finished it. A very quick read and a very sweet book. It's about the occupation of Guernsey by the Germans. All in letter form.

So now I'm turning my self to "How to Win a Cosmic War: God, Globalization, and the End of the War on Terror". I have a lot of interest about the subject and I'm especially drawn to it because it's not about U.S. politics per se, but about how not understanding a culture brings about our situation.

I'll probably be better informed about the content after I read it but that is my take on it watching a few short interviews with the author a few months ago. One of the girls at work was reading the book and she lent it to me after she finished.

I love discussing religion with her. She's Christian and she's very well versed in other religions and cultures and understands how to bridge between them. She does not try to make her POV the *right* one, she allows that each person holds dear that which gives them the most solace. I admire that in a person. To know there is enough of everything for everyone.

So I'm off to go read at least the first chapter tonight. Better start in since it's after 10 p.m.

No comments: