Thursday, March 5, 2009

The day

From a window above the gas station next door I spied an older woman. Maybe in her 60's. Short wavy gray hair, pink sweatshirt and sweatpants. One pantleg hiked up past her ankle, the other leg brushed the top of her white tennis shoe. She leaned back against the wall as if she were tired of sitting but still needed some support. She wasn't fat, she wasn't thin, she had the body of an elder woman.

This young guy, maybe in his 30's walked towards her. I could see her assessing him. He did not pay any attention to her. I imagined she looked at him thinking: Once I was young and you would have looked at me. And I could see the faint outline of what she was before. The young guy passed her and disappeared into the gas station mini-mart unaware she was projecting.

She leaned back and scuffed her tennis shoes into the cement.

**************************************

Sometimes, no all times that I stand in the kitchen at work warming my coffee I look out over that parking lot. I know that every person there has a story. I don't always know what it is, but I know it's there. You can see a lot, in that one minute if you just take the time to look.

**************************************

Today work was a bitch. A yelling fight down the hall that brought many people out of their cubes to listen. I watched from my desk. Mostly I listened. I only got involved when my boss came to me and said, "We need to do a better job in communicating XXX." I tore thru my email and found what I was looking for and then marched into her office to show her I didn't need that comment as my communication was as clear as the email I held in my hand. She did not apologize but took the email proof to someone else to call them on their error. I felt vindicated but not happy that a finger was pointed at me in the first place. An assumption was made even tho I had nothing to do with any of it.

Over the course of the day almost everyone came to my desk to tell me what happened from their POV. It was a crazy day. Glad I wasn't part of any of the crap.

**************************************

And now I'm just plain tired.

No comments: