Thursday, January 8, 2009

Bad smells

Cilantro: ookie food. No, really, I think it's a horrible food. It's not even food, not fit to eat.

I know I'm in the minority here, seems like most people love it. The more the merrier is basically the sound I hear when I hear someone say, "Yummmm, cilantro."

For me it permeates any food item. That's all I can taste and the taste lingers. Unless it is very small amounts I have to pick it out of my food or not order the item. I never buy it and never cook with it. It's like green rot to me.

I don't think I'm a supertaster as in the link above. But there are certain scents I cannot abide. I can't abide cilantro, although luckily I can't necessarily smell it unless it's in my food.

Here are a few food/drink scents I cannot stand:
     Old fish and sometimes fish markets.
     Any alcohol on someones breath. Wine and beer are the worst and I can smell them across the room. Basically I have to leave the room.
     Strong brocolli. I used to love brocolli. But when I was pregnant it made me ill. Now I can barely tolerate it cooking. If it is fresh, it's not so much of a problem but if it's a few days old I can smell the difference.

I think those are the big offenders, there might be one other but I can't think of it.

3 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

I think cilantro is an acquired taste. I used to really hate it but after having it in salsa I grew to like it. Now I love it, love it, love it.

Smells I hate are: Smoker's breath and clothes. I'm talkin' heavy smokers. I think you do a pretty good job of staying fresh smelling. In fact, I almost never notice a cigarette smell around you. But some people actually make me gasp when they walk by.
Alcohol on the breath doesn't bother me as long as it's just a little.
B.O. at the grocery store! It always seems to happen there. Someone really rank will walk by and practically knock me over with the B.O.

Smells I love-
Chicken on the grill
Burning pumpkin
Tabasco sauce
Sesame oil
Fresh garlic
Those spicy carnations
Someone peeling an orange

VO said...

LOL, I have a whole bunch of smells that are not food related that I hate. I thought I might do a post on that tonight.

And a seperate post on smells I love (food related) and others.

I have many of the same loves you have listed in your comment.

VO said...

I've tried to like cilantro. I love Thai food and it's in a lot of it. But I can't seem to acquire the taste because it's like putting something really nasty in my mouth. One leaf is enough for me to taste it in a whole vat of salsa.