Saturday, January 3, 2009

Sat resting before book club

I could not have gotten the house done in time without the help of the daughter and her friends. And now they are making the dinner. They made the dessert, I have to get a picture of it. It's too cool and works great with the food.

Susan and Terry are coming over early to have a glass of wine. Terry got Susan a really nice wine so she's bring it by so we can all bogart the wine. Ok, I probably won't have more than 1/2 a glass but it's the sharing that counts.

Right now I am so happy because I've got 2 hours to not do anything. Yay. Maybe I'll knit or read that stupid book I'm reading.

Speaking of which...a girl at work bought the newest Piers Anthony book. I read most of his stuff years and years ago. I can't remember the last one I read but it was probably this one, With a Tangled Skein. That was published in '85 so it's been a long time since I've read him. I used to buy all his books as they came out. I started reading the Adept series that started in maybe '81 and stopped reading those about 8 years later. I didn't finish the series.

I got bored with him. It doesn't matter what series you pick up of his, they all have the same exact flavor to them. Characters always speak the same and the solutions to everthing is presented the same every sentence.

So the girl at work knew I'd read him and she was all excited about his new book, Under a Velvet Cloak. She bought it, evidently read it and had Kim give it to me to read while I was on vacation.

I started it last night. I hate it. I mean really hate it. The subject matter is basically sex. The characters speak of sex so casually and do it so casually that there is nothing sexy or intriguing about it. And Piers Anthony uses any excuse for his characters to have sex. Answer a question and the main character will do the answerer. And frankly it's just bad sex.

He also has characters that are gay (so far only men tho) and one character is a pedophile. A gay pedophile. Who does boys between 6 and 8. And the characters are ok with it. For gawds sake the main female character is 14 when she begins having regular sex.

It feels as if Piers Anthony is a pedophile himself and is exploring his relationship with it. I hate this book for the pedophlia and the idiotic sex. I'd give it a F-. Don't read this book and certainly don't purchase it.

No comments: