Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Target customer service

I had to run an errand for work today and I had to go to Target. I knew what I needed to buy and since I know that store like the back of my hand I knew where it was and what I might want to cruise by as I went to and from.

4 times I was asked if I'd found what I was looking for, or asked if I needed help finding anything.

4 times in maybe 10 mins.

Odd. I mean, I love Target. (although I hate that I can't spend more money there). I like it because there is usually someone around if I DO need help but usually they're not in your face greeting you or bugging you as you shop. I love the mostly hands off approach.

4 times when I'm walking purposely and not wandering around with that "hmmmm, I wonder if I'd find tools over here in this aisle, no , maybe that aisle" look on my face.

Maybe their management thinks because sales are down (I assume) they need to pump up the customer service.

No, please don't. Please don't ask every clerk to talk to me. I hate that. Be there if I need you but don't approach me for no darned reason.

Let me shop or browse in peace.

2 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

I HATE it when I'm in Vons and 10 employees go out of their way to say hello and ask me if I've found what I need. Sure, ok, if you happen to walk by and if I look lost it's ok to greet me and ask if I need help. But don't come running down the aisle to blast me with a fake howdy do. Management forces them to do that. I stopped shopping at Safeway because of that and now that they merged with Vons they're making those employees do it too.

There have been times when I was actually startled by some goofball chasing me down in the frozen food section. And if you're really having a bad day (like the bizillion bad days I had when I was in mourning) you reeeally don't want some cheery clerk invading your fragile space.

AAARRGH!!! So, now they're doing it at Target?

VO said...

Yep, they are doing it at Target and I hate it.

I hate psudo-friendly clerks who don't give a rats ass but try to pretend they want to help you.

I also hate when waiters tell you their names, fake, fake, fake.