Thursday, January 8, 2009

Earthquake!

Tonight at the grocery store I hear this rumbling.  It sounded like someone with a really big metal cart and it was rumbling fast thru the store.  I could hear items falling off of it.  Then I started feeling it.  

I realized we were having an earthquake and items were falling off shelves.  I walked over to the checkstand where there were 3 or so people in line and everyone was talking.  

I told the checker there was stuff that had fallen, I'd heard things falling off shelves.

Oh, there was an aftershock (8:48) just now.  Hang on, have to let the daughter online.

(edited to add: A minor earthquake occurred at 8:47:40 PM (PST) on Thursday, January 8, 2009.
The magnitude 3.3 event occurred 3 km (2 miles) S of San Bernardino, CA.
The hypocentral depth is 14 km ( 9 miles).)

Ok, so I'm back and it's 10:54.

As all of us in line laughed and talked (and I called the daughter who reports it woke up the hub and scared the Mocha dog).  The checker was telling the guy in front of me that she's never been in a big place during an earthquake.  And she asked if he heard her cuss.

He took a second and solomnly said, "Yes."  Pretty funny exchange.  Then all of a sudden I hear over the loudspeaker: "Cleanup in aisles 2,3,4,5,6 and 8."

Made me laugh aloud. 

The earthquake was downgraded from a 5.0 to a 4.5. (edited to add: A light earthquake occurred at 7:49:46 PM (PST) on Thursday, January 8, 2009.
The magnitude 4.5 event occurred 3 km (2 miles) SSW of San Bernardino, CA.
The hypocentral depth is 14 km ( 9 miles).)

4 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Heh! Your story is better than mine. I was just watching a show on Comedy Central. That stupid comedian didn't even feel it. Isn't it funny that I almost thought he should stop his routine and say, "Whoa, did you feel that?" My brain was just that flustered. I got up and called Dean in Texas. I knew that as a former Californian she'd appreciate a fresh earthquake report.

I also felt the aftershock.

VO said...

Was the comedy central show live?

Donita Curioso said...

No!

VO said...

Bwhahahahaha!